question-icon

What does a small lump under the neck indicate?

Posted on Tue, 21 Oct 2014
Question: I have a small movable bump or lump under my jaw and a lump or goiter on the side of my neck where my thyroid gland is. it feels like a bubble moving around in my neck. and my right side of my neck looks swollen where that lump is and I also have minor discomfort in my abdominals region on the right side. do yo u have any idea what is wrong and also should i be worried?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko (11 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

This lumps are nothing more than a lymph nodes. This nodes get enlarged due to some infection in the surrounding areas including throat infection, salivary glands infection, teeth infection, ear infection.
You may have throat pain, fever, nausea with all mentioned issues.
Right side abdominal pain/discomfort can be caused by gallstones and you should have it checked.
I suggest you to consult laryngologist, have throat examination and an ultrasound of this swollen area.
You should also have abdominal ultrasound done to rule gallstones out.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon