What does a small lump at base of tailbone indicate?

Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari

General Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 20 Dec 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Question: Thank you. I found a small lump at the base of my tailbone while in the shower tonight. Now, it seems to be tender, when I did not notice that before. It is actually right at the rectum. What should I do next? If I share with my husband, what should I ask him to look for when he sees it? To tell from a cyst or something else? Can a hemorrhoid appear to be a round like nodule?

Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possibility of thrombosis in pile

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Healthcaremagic
Greetings of the day
Dear Ms

Following two possibilities needs to be considered and ruled out in case of painful swelling at anal region
1. Thrombosed External pile or hemorrhoid: Clotting of blood vessel in pile could cause appearance of pain. It is usually related to exertion while passing stools

2. Perianal abscess

You can ask your husband to look for following

1. Redness in the skin overlying the swelling
2. Any discharge
3. Swelling or edema of surrounding area

In the meantime I would suggest you the following which will provide much needed relief

1. Hot Seitz bath: To a tub of lukewarm water add 2 spoons of antiseptic solution. Sit in it for 15 to 20 minutes each session twice a day. The warmthnes will reduce the pain and inflammation associated

2. Analgesic and anti inflammatory like Ibuprofen will be helpful

You can also send me clinical photograph for further assessment.
If pain persists do consult your Primary Care physician for further assessment.

Best regards
Dr Deepak Kaltari
Consultant Surgeon

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju