Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

162 Doctors Online
Owl Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 18 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Ask a Urologist   »  

What does a small bruise on lower back indicate?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 768 Questions
I have a small bruise on my right lower back over the kidney area. My right kidney has been throbbing since July 16th. I recently got over a uti and I just had a urine test done and i don't have a uti anymore. I do have a 3mm kidney stone in my left kidney but my left kidney is not causing any pain. I did not hit my back on anything at all. It hurts to sit, stand, and lay down. I have been taking 2 extra strength Tylenol every 4hts but no help. The pain is constant it goes from a 7 - a 9 all the time. I did have a bilateral x ray of my kidneys done two weeks ago and that's when they found the stone in my left kidney. What could be going on?
Sat, 30 Aug 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Manuel C See IV 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
A ct scan or an ultrasound ia needed.

Detailed Answer:
good day and thank you for being with healthcare magic!

i would suggest doing a kidney ultrasound or a ct stonogram to determine the cause of bruising on your flank area. xrays wouldnt help much since soft tissues are not really seen on xray.

Possible causes would be kidney bleeding or hematoma from over exertion, a bleeding renal mass, or sometimes just spontaneous bleeding.

in the meantime i suggest bedrest for one week an avoid any physical exertion.

I hope I have succeeded in providing the information you were looking for. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications at: I would gladly help you. Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist