What does a sensation of obstruction and pain near the throat indicate?

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Posted on Thu, 4 Oct 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Weird mild aching at back of throat. It feels as if there is something stuck back there. I have looked at the area in the mirror and nothing seems different from the other side. I had it for about 2 weeks.
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 3 hours later
Brief Answer:

Seems like Pharyngitis

Detailed Answer:

It seems that you are suffering from pharyngitis which is inflammation of the mucous lining of the pharynx.

Pharyngitis is a reported side effect of Prozac occurring in 10% of patients using it.

This can be relieved by drinking plenty of warm fluids and gargling with warm salt water.

I'd also suggest taking an anti-inflammatory medication as Ibuprofen tablets every eight hours after some food for next 2-3 days.

If no improvement is seen or if you develop fever then you should seek medical care either to decrease the Prozac dose and/or get a prescription for an antibiotic for further management...

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Salah Saad Shoman, Internal Medicine Specialist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee