What does a red,raw area in upper buttock indicate?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 23 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have a deep red, raw area in my upper butt crack. its almost like a ring but doesn't go outside to my butt. It itches as well. I have had this once before as well as my belly button area. It comes and goes away. I'm not obese.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pilonidal cyst.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Can you please attach a photo of it so I can give more precise answer?
From your description it sounds like pilonidal cyst. Due to ingrown hair, tissues get irritated and create a kind of cyst. Such cyst usually has a tiny hole visible from outside. Redness and itching is also characteristic. When such cyst gets infected, pus appears what leads to an abscess formation and gives pain.
I suggest you to consult general surgeon with it. The cyst needs to be removed during the surgical procedure. Otherwise it wont go away.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.