What does a rash on the penis shaft indicate?

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 10 Sep 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello, my name is Jason. Iam a male 30 years of age. Over the last month and a half I have noticed a small red rash on the right side of my penis shaft. Not itchy or burning, just there. What could cause this? I have not been sexually active since August. Sometimes it looks red and sometimes it looks like dry skin that is flaky. It tends to go away for a few days then come back and look red again. Any suggestions would be great, Thanks
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Either psoriasis or eczema, topical steroid, upload pics

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through your complaints and it could be either psoriasis or eczema.

I would recommend you to apply a topical steroid like cortisone cream on the affected area twice daily for few days.

Along with application of a moisturising cream on the entire penile area 2-3 times in a day.

Alternatively you can upload the pictures of the affected areas under the report section of the site so that I can have a clearer picture of the condition.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 22 minutes later
I uploaded a photo
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 3 hours later
Brief Answer:

Looks like nonspecific dermatitis

Detailed Answer:

I have reviewed the attached photograph and it looks like a nonspecific dermatitis. Nothing to worry about.

I would recommend you to apply cortisone cream on the affected areas twice daily along with application of a moisturising cream 2-3 times in a day.

Brief Answer:

Welcome.

Detailed Answer:

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney, Dermatologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 14 minutes later
Thanks for you're help!