• question-icon

What does a positive urine test for blood despite having low RBC in urine indicate?

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in Kidney Conditions
Question: HI I am XXXXXXX XXXX, I went to the ER a couple of weeks ago for gastroparesis I am 72, am deaf in my right ear, and have gastroparesis, they gave me a complete work up, chest xray and EKG were normal, as was my CBC and my complete metabolic panel. They even gave me a complete Abdominal CT scan with control and pelvic xray and was told all was normal. I also had a urinalysis, which showed 1+ heme, but only 0-1 RBSs on microscopic evaluation, also had bacteria, but have had this before. I am concerned that is bladder cancer, but was told my RBC's would be more, is this correct, and what accounts for the 1+ heme, I have had trace heme before. thanks a lot
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Heme positive urine strip

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for contacting HCM with your health care concerns

You had recent urinalysis and blood work. In your testing the UA was positive for blood but the microscopic test only showed 0-1 RBCs per high power field. The reason that the UA was positive is that it measures positive even in the slightest amount of blood. The microscopic test is more specific for bleeding. Since it was very low there is no concern for bladder or kidney cancer. So I can reassure you that you have no worries about having kidney or bladder cancer with such a low RBC count.

I hope I answered your question. Please contact us again if you have any additional questions
Dr. Ronald Schubert