• question-icon

What does a pink spot on the index finger indicate?

Posted on Fri, 14 Jul 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello...I'm attaching an image of the top of my hand, where you will see a pinkish spot located below my index finger, about midway down to my wrist. I first noticed it about three months ago. Can you please take a look at it and advise what you think it may be, and is there any treatment which you would suggest? Thank you!!
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Need more information and prefer a close up image

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us.

I am dr. kakkar (dermatologist). I have gone through your query and I have noted your concern.
Unfortunately the image is not very clear. I request you to kindly upload another closer one.
However, it seems like a pinkish/ reddish, small lesion on dorsum of hand and going by the look of it, it could be an actinic keratosis/ solar keratosis.
I would like to know is it scaly, rough to touch?

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Hi Dr. Kakkar! I will be honest with you, I posed this question for a friend of mine, who also suffers from health anxiety focused on her skin. She has a dermatologist appointment in a few weeks, and she is very nervous, as she had an actinic keratosis removed from her forehead a few months ago. I am hesitant to ask her for more details about this spot (since you indicated it may be an actinic keratosis), as I know she is extremely worried that she will keep getting precancerous (that word sent her into a tailspin) spotsndue to prior sun exposure (she just turned 50 as well).

That being said, as a dermatologist, if it is an actinic keratosis (this would be her second), do you have any words of wisdom for her, such as these being easily treatable, there is no guarantee that she will continue to develop more, all that is needed is future sun protection and vigilance with dermatologist screenings, etc...?

Thank you so much for your help, and I apologize for being sneaky with posing a question for my friend (I just wanted to help her out)!!
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
Most AK's never turn malignant

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Actinic keratosis (AK) are premalignant and still benign and most will never turn into malignancy. AK's are easily treatable with either freezing or florouracil. Nevertheless they are a sign of sun damage and increased cancer risk in an individual. Apart from treating preexisting AK's future sun protection and regular use of sunscreen would prevent future actinic keratosis and also decrease cancer risk.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 4 hours later
Dr. Kakkar I cannot thank you enough for your help and reassurances!!!
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for writing to us

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist