What does a persistent rise in BP levels indicate?

Dr. Sagar Makode

Cardiologist

Posted on Thu, 4 Oct 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My blood pressure has been rising for the past couple of weeks. It has been around low 130's for years but recently it's been in the 140's and sometimes when I take it it's been in the 150's. What does this indicate?
Answered by Dr. Sagar Makode 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:

These is age related change.

Detailed Answer:

This occurs due to age related hardening of vessels called as Arteriosclerosis. So no need to worry about that, but needs monitoring and control.

You should have a healthy lifestyle like avoiding fatty, oily and high-calorie diet. Have low salt diet and monitor blood pressure regularly thrice a day for one week then once or twice a week.

If bp is persistently more than 140/90 mmhg, then you should be on medicines for it. You could get prescribed Tab Cilnidipine 10 mg once a day in the morning.

Regular exercises like brisk walking, jogging according to your capacity at least 30 min a day and 5 days a week. Avoid smoking and alcohol if any.

Get your lipid profile and sugars tested once as a part of the screening.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Sagar Makode, Cardiologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D