What does a persistent red itchy sore rash on the stomach indicate?

Dr. Klarida Papaqako

Posted on Fri, 16 Nov 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have a red rash on my stomach.....it has been there for awhile...it started a spot about the size of a quarter but has grown bigger....I am diabetic and I have treated this rash with antibiotic otc cream and then a steroid cream. It itches and is slightly sore.
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Possible overlap with fungal infection.

Detailed Answer:

I saw the photo you sent to us. If the antibiotic and the steroid didn't work, then most probably your rash might had a fungal infection on top of it. I would recommend using Ketokonazole 2%, or Econazole 1% local cream, twice/day for 2 weeks. It should start getting better within the first days when you use it.

Try to keep the area as dry as possible and avoid friction.
Continue using the steroid cream, but not longer than 2 weeks in a row. These infections are more difficult to be treated because of diabetes; it may take longer to heal.

If worse or not better, I would recommend seeing a local doctor.

Hope this is helpful.

Dr. Klarida Papaqako,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T