What does a painless lump below the left ear indicate?

Posted on Wed, 2 Apr 2014 in Skin Cancer
Question: I have melanoma. Stage 3. I underwent a left inguinal lymph node dissection superficial/deep node dissection, Sept. 2013. Chemo with radiation of high doses of interferon for 4 weeks followed by radiation Rx. for 5 weeks. During the last 2 weeks of radiation, I noted a skin lump, below my left ear, 1 cm below the ear,adjacent to my upper jaw line. My MD advised me to observe the site for increase in size. The small skin lump is painless & has not increased in size. I will be starting Interferon injections in 1 month, 3X/week for 11 months. Should I be concerned in that my MD's appointment is in 1 month?
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer: observe the lesion Detailed Answer: Hello, I agree with your doctor. The lump look painless at the present. But in the background of tumour, this lump needs to be observed closely. If the lump increases in size suddenly, you must meet your treating doctor. Please don't be very worried, you are already on radiation and chemotherapy, hence treatment is already on. These therapies are given at fixed interval and extra doses are not advised even if new lesions appear. You can wait a month to meet your doctor. Let me know if you have any other doubts. Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Rahul Kumar 21 hours later
Greetings Dr. XXXXXXX Thank-you for your medical response on the skin lesion, adjacent to my left upper jawline with my underlying Dx of melanoma. I agree with your response to observe the site. I am a Critical care RN in Toronto, Ontario. Canada. Post radiation Rx., I am recovering from radiation skin breakdown; hence, with the lymphatic system adjusting to this insult, I am hydrating with 2 litres of fluid, beyond the normal daily amounts via foods. My priority is to prevent infection with optimal wound & skin care best practices to my left inguinal site of recent therapies for lymph node dissection. Your comforting words given, eased my mind. Cordially, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 13 hours later
Brief Answer: Use aloe vera cream Detailed Answer: Hello You are correct the first priority should be to control infection. Its good you are maintaining hydration. In addition you can use a mild emollient like aloe vera cream. This will prevent loss of water from skin. Dont worry soon you will recover. Feel free to ask any other doubt. Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Rahul Kumar

Dermatologist