What does a painful red lump with pus on skin indicate?

Posted on Tue, 16 Jun 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Would like a second opinion...
Can staph turn into sepsis? Scared. Not sure if it is staph. Red lump filled with puss on skin with red ring around it. Hard lump. Popped it last and a little puss came out but now nothing will come out of it. Too hard to pop now. Also very painful.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Furuncle; I suggest Oral and topical antibiotics

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I have gone through your query and I have also reviewed the Image.

This is a furuncle which is bacterial skin infection of skin and soft tissue.

The bacteria in a furuncle usually gains entry through the hair follicle.
It is then followed by extension/ involvement of surrounding soft tissue with infection i.e cellulitis. The resultant inflammation is felt as a hard, painful lump Or swelling.

Staph aureus is the most common causative organism of skin and soft tissue infections including furuncle.

The infection in a furuncle can disseminate through blood to other body sites i.e sepsis, however, this scenario is rare in young, healthy individuals.
Patients who are immunosuppressed e.g AIDS patients, diabetic patients, organ transplant patients etc are more prone to sepsis from a furuncle.

I would advice against squeezing it as this may push the infection deeper and delay healing.

If I was the treating doctor I would suggest a course of an Oral antibiotic for a week.
My choice of an Oral antibiotic would be either Amoxycillin Or Cephalexin for a week.
Oral antibiotics are prescription drugs and therefore I suggest that you talk to your doctor for the needful.

Topically you may use an OTC topical antibacterial e.g 2% mupirocin ointment, twice daily.

An OTC oral antiinflammatory and painkiller e.g ibuprofen, twice daily will help you symptomatically with pain and swelling.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 3 minutes later
Wow okay so what about Ciprofloxacin HCL 250 MG tab

I have a prescription that is a few weeks old. There are 16 tablets. Would that be strong enough for this or do i need to go to my DR?

Also. I have had this boil for 2 days. It has begun to go down already. My treatment has been: rubbing alcohol in the morning, about 10 mins later I would apply apple cider vinegar, then coconut oil, then polysporin, and a little bit of neosporin. Let it sit for a minute then apply a bandaid...
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Ciprofloxacin is fine

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Ciprofloxacin is fine.
Topically you may use just polysporin/ neosporin ointment, twice daily.
I think these together would be enough.

Regarfs
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 1 minute later
how do i know if sepsis has occurred? I am afraid because areas around this bump hurt, not on the surface layer but my arm is aching...Could it have spread to bones? Could i have pushed it deeper by trying so hard to pop it the first night it came up?

I am going to upload the pics of what it looks like today. The shinyness is because of the coconut oil and theres bandage adhesive stuck around it.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
i advice against squeezing it; begin with oral antibiotics

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Sepsis is usually accompanied by high grade fever.
Furuncle is limited to just skin and soft tissue.
It does not extend to the level of bone.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 1 minute later
Okay...The pictures that i just sent you does it look better than what it previously was? Can Furuncle turn into sepsis and if so how and why? Im sorry for all the questions im just really scared
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
start with oral ciprofloxacin without delay

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

I have reviewed the images.
It looks better on surface but a furuncle is better felt than seen.
The pus head is gone probably because you tried to pop.
Delay in antibiotic treatment can rarely lead to abscess formation and sepsis.
Don't be afraid. Just start with antibiotics as soon as possible. Oral antibiotics won't allow it to spread further.
It will soon resolve i.e in 3-5 days, once you start with oral antibiotics.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 5 minutes later
Just took my first cipro. What should i be feeling for? Is cipro stronger than what is usually used for it ? Do i take it everyday at the same time? How many hours in between each cipro? 8? 12? I've heard there are really nasty side effects to cipro long term..
Brief Answer:
Ciprofloxacin is an effective drug for furuncle

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Ciprofloxacin is a commonly used drug for furuncle.
The dose is twice daily, 12 hours apart, after meals for 5 days.
There are practically no side effects with a short course of cipro. You had taken it earlier.
It is a prescription drug. I suggest that you inform your family doctor and take it under his/ her supervision.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 2 minutes later
there's no hair on my arm where the furuncle is though..
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Arm has lot of hair follicles

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

There are a lot of hair follicles in arm.
Hair may be finer and lighter in color and therefore may not be very obvious but certainly there a lot many on arm.

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist