question-icon

What does a movable lump on jaw line indicate?

Posted on Sat, 12 Jul 2014
Question: I found today a pea size lump that is moveable under my skin along the right jawline, thought is was a pimple but tonight I found another one on the opposite side in same area but that one has a small head on it. They both move so they are not attached to my bone. Any idea?

Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma (24 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
could be sebaceous cyst or lymph node

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

The pea size lump with a head over is most likely to be a sebaceous cyst. Other possibility is of lymph nodes but they usually don't have heads.

Both these are usually not concerning. However I would suggest that you show it to a surgeon for a clinical examination. If it turns out to be a cyst, you may get it removed by him. Its a minor procedure that can be done at your surgeon's office under local anaesthesia.

If its a lymph node then a course of antibiotics will be needed.

Hope i have been helpful.

Dr. Ashish Verma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Ashish Verma

General Surgeon