What does a lump on vagina indicate?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014
Excellent

Dermatologist
Question
Hi Doctor, I noticed a lump or bump on my vagina and I am extremely worried about it. It appeared about a month after a sexual encounter and I am worried it is a std. I have attached a few pictures of the bump. It is painless and does not itch or burn. It feels pretty firm and has been there for about a month. Is this bump HPV or Herpes? If so, what are next steps I should take? If not, what could have caused this bump to appear? I'm pretty sure this is due in some way to the sexual encounter I mentioned above. Thanks for your help.
Posted Wed, 6 Aug 2014 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Sebaceous cyst

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to healthcaremagic

I am Dr. Kakkar. I have gone through your query and I have understood it. I have also seen the Images.

This is not an STD. The bump most likely seems to be of sebaceous origin and resembles a small sebaceous cyst.

I would rule out molluscum in this case. Molluscum lesions are pearly white with a central indentation. It is very unusual to find just a single molluscum, usually there are multiple

It is definitely neither a wart nor it is herpes

Due to its insignificant nature, you can either ignore it, it might stay the same or may gradually increase in size. If desired it can be removed surgically along with the cyst wall, either now or at a later date.

Follow-up: What does a lump on vagina indicate? 22 minutes later
Hi doctor, if I leave this cyst alone will it eventually go away on it's own without surgery? What would have caused a sebaceous cyst to appear? Can I be sure that this is not an HPV wart or another STD, as if it is not then I will feel more comfortable engaging in sexual activity again. Thank you for your help.

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not an STD

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

It might not go by itself, it would either stay as it is Or may increase gradually to a bigger size. You might contemplate removal of the cyst either now or at a later date.

The perineal area is rich in sebaceous glands and it is not unusual to have sebaceous cyst in this area. Males can have sebaceous cysts on scrotum which is the male counterpart of labia majora.

Surely, it is not a wart nor it is herpes. Therefore there is nothing to worry.