Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

What does a lump on thighs indicate?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10412 Questions
Hi my name is XXXXXXX and I have noticed a lump in my thigh and I was hoping you could give me a background on what it could be before I spend money to go to the doctor. The lump is approx. 2inches in diameter, it's hard and doesn't move, it's 4 inches above the knee. I have no pain at all, but it may be swollen but it's hard to tell. I'm only 15 and I have never had any health problems. I noticed this lump about a month ago and I can't remember how big it was to determine if it has grown. I am not sure if it correlates with the lump, but I have shooting pain that goes through my glutes, all the way to my back and abdomin. The lump is not close to where the pain is. It is also located on the outer left side
Posted Mon, 17 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Likely to be benign lump Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. The lump that you describe could be a neurofibroma/lipoma or a bone related lump. A physical examination is definitely worth it as the differentiating features of all the above conditions are through local examination. Do not be concerned. All the aforementioned lumps are benign natured. Neurofibroma / lipoma is basically a lump of fibrous tissue/adipose tissue. It's not cancerous and not harmful. Surgical removal is sometimes needed when there is function impairment or when you develop symptoms. The pain that you are having could be related to the lump. I suggest you to see your doctor for localized examination of the lump. You may plan the necessary procedure after discussing with them. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor