What does a lump on the soft palate indicate?

Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in General Health
Question: Hi Dr, I’m an 52 year old male. I have Hard lump (Lump in Oral Cavity ) just on top of my soft palate and top over uvula . The lump was pink, medium, and painless. One weeks ago I found it but before I didn’t noticed. My family don’t have any mouth problem. Also I visited to my GP and referred to Dental Surgeon in Dental hospital. Could this be dangerous? And what remedy I need to do. I uploaded my lump photo. before lump look like tiny cauliflower (guess not soft) and this lump touch with my tongue but not hurt. now lump little bit reduce after warm salt water Gargles . I am not a smoker. I've Diabetic and High blood pressure. I don't have any cough or throat problem now. why I was scarred GP's refereed form to Oral Surgeon say Lumps/Mass in Oral Cavity. Two days I couldn't sleep.
also I uploaded latest my lump photo for your view. From Last September I am on Paleo Diet(LCHF) for weight loss. also Last two months I eat lots of Green Chilies, Jalapeno with Salad and hot meat curry and before sleep take Apple cider vinegar. Now I stop take taking Apple cider vinegar. because for that Lump in my soft palate. I am planning visit XXXXXXX on August so will visit your surgery around end of August.
Thanks again your helpful advise
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Its an harmless oral wart

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX

Thanks for posting the query

I have examined all the three images thoroughly. First of all, I would like to reassure you that, it is not a cancerous lesion. This is an oral wart caused by HPV virus.

Considering your age, I would suggest excision of the same followed by histopathological examination. Do not worry! It's a simple procedure with negligible morbidity.

Till then, you should avoid hot/chilled beverages, spicy food, crisps, etc. which can irritate the wart. Drink plenty of warm water. Try using povidone iodine mouth washes or spray, it's very beneficial.

Hope this answers your query. Revert back to me if you have any follow up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later
Thanks Dr. XXXXXXX what's meaning of HPV virus. is it sexual virus. if this correct I am not sure how to get this. because I don't do any sex with other people.
1) when I found this lump was big and not sure how long was this this lump. that time that lump was touch with my tongue. now little bit reduce.
2) another query If this HPV virus look like papilloma, focal epithelial hyperplasia then will curable this Lump or Warts (diseases). also how can I prevent it. Last August Me & My family visited lots of place in XXXXXXX and not sure this virus got it from somewhere in XXXXXXX Thanks
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Oral warts are curable... Laser excision has shown promising results

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX

Thanks for writing back

1. Oral warts are caused by HPV (human papilloma virus). The exact mode of transmission of this virus has not yet been established. Oral sex or kissing has been thought to be one of the modes of transmission.

2. Most of the times, its self limiting and doesn't cause any harm. But, in your case, considering the age, I would strongly recommend removal of the same followed by histopathological examination.

3. Good oral hygiene is a must to prevent spreading. Do not worry! Its a harmless lesion. Laser excision has shown promising results.

Hope this clarifies your doubts. Wish you good health.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar 17 hours later
Thanks Dr. XXXXXXX for your very good advise. Can I call you If this OK then Please provide your phone number. I am in UK. I don't know any Dr in UK for advise or Talk. I got Oral Surgeon apportionment on 15-Feb. I'm so scarred go hospital on that day. I am not sure how long this warts was growth. Thanks again for your help.

and my GP is on holiday and Walk-in DR can't speak any details. She said referred to Oral Surgeon and can't say danger or not.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 23 hours later
Brief Answer:
I would like to reassure you that, it's a harmless lesion...

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX

Welcome back

I'm sorry for the delay in answering your query. I regret, according to our contractual terms, I am not supposed to reveal my mail id or phone number.

Do not worry! It’s a simple problem. The wart is not going to cause any major harm. You can go to the oral surgeon with peace of mind.

I wish you good luck and good health. God bless you.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon