What does a lump on roof of the mouth indicate?

Dr. Shesh Jaiswal

Dentist, Endodontics

Posted on Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Dental Health
Question: I noticed a lump on roof of my mouth i never noticed before it has not changed size or shape but has been there for four months it causes no pain and appeared almost overnight along with for the first time tonsil l stones this was just after a trip to the dentist to have fesurre seals applied i am a 30 year old light smoker who is active and does not drink alcohol what could this be home
Answered by Dr. Shesh Jaiswal 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
could be a smoker's palate

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to HCM.
This dr. Shesh jaiswal answering your query.

I have gone through your history and i have come through the following possibilities:

1. Smoker's palate- this condition also known as palate nicotina can occur on roof of the mouth in smokers.
2. Torus palatinus- mostly it is painless and occurs on the roof of mouth.causes problem in eating and speech.can be removed surgically.
3. Inflammation of palate - can occur due to an infection or irritation.but shouldn't be there for 3- 4 months.

If i were your treating doctor i would advice you to first
1. Stop smoking.
2.Take antioxidant with lycopene and beta carotine once daily for 1 month.
3.Maintain proper oral hygiene.
Rinse your mouth with antiseptic mouthwash.
4. Apply kenacort gel on affected area

If the problem persist you can contact me again and visit a dentist.

Hope this answers your query. Take care

Dr. Shesh
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Shesh Jaiswal 2 hours later
The bump would be around the size of a certain5 centerpiece and is equal on both side in middle of roof of mouth could this still be smokers palate .thanks for the reply doesn't sound serious :)
Answered by Dr. Shesh Jaiswal 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
smoker's palate or torus palatinus

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome back.

As i said in case of smokers palate (nicotinic stomatitis) if you follow above steps it will help you certainly.
if its a torus (exostosis) and its not causing you any problem then its not a big deal. if torus increases in size or number and interfere with your mouth activity then you should get it removed.just keep a watch on it.

if you don't have any further question then you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Dr. Shesh

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj