Ask a Urologist   »  

What does a lump on prostate indicate?

Question
My urologist, during DRE has sensed a small lump that seems to be outside the prostate. He says that it may be of hemorrhoid origin. I am 79 years old and the PSA is around 7. I will take antibiotics for 3 weeks before testing for total and free PSA and another DRE. Are the kind of small lumps described above common? What is the likelihood of cancer?
Posted Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
TRUS and MRI can help.

Detailed Answer:

Since PSA levels are high and doctor has felt a nodule, then why not get this investigated with transrectal ultrasound and MRI , if needed.

This can help in early diagnosis and also help in knowing interval behaviour of the nodule/lump , particularly in case you opt to wait and watch or take medical treatment for this later.

Hope this helps.Please ask if there are doubts.Regards.