Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
194 Doctors are Online

What does a lump on arm indicate?

Sep 2014
User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 2344 Questions
I've had a lump that developed on inside my right arm where it bends. Started a couple of months ago. I thought it was just a rash at first because I've been having a lot of new dermatitis type rashes over the last year. But this turned out to be a hard lump. It's somewhat tender to the touch. Getting larger steadily but not rapidly. Any ideas what it could be? I hate to have to go to several doctors and spend so much money on co-pays. I would like advise on what type of doctor to start with. Thank you very much
Posted Wed, 20 Aug 2014 in Lump
Answered by Dr. Ganesh 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Lymph nodal enlargement.

Detailed Answer:
Hello welcome to health care magic.
This is Dr. Ganesh.

1.The way you have described the lesion / lump, it looks like lymph node enlargement. Not very painful, long standing, after an infection, hard in touch.

2. The other possible lesions are Carbuncle, furuncle, abscess - these are generally seen in case of infections, they come with fever, excessive pain on touch, redness ( carbuncle / furuncle arises from the hair follicles where as abscess due to local infection - generally bacterial).

3. Other possibility are Lipomas - lesion with fat content.

4.Most possibilities are towards lymph node enlargement - This enlargement is see in case of any infection / inflammation , underlying systemic disease , Malignancies. ( so first you have to treat the cause if you know any cause.

5.In this case you see your GP and let the get examined (an ultrasound of the lesion will help in characterising the lesion weather cystic, solid, mixed. And where and what structure it is arising from, and what all it is involving - the best modality with no radiation)

6 After that he/she can treat if there is any underlying cause, depending on scan report and examination - you may need to visit surgeon.

Hope i have answered your query.
if any thing to ask, do not hesitate.
Thanks for approaching Health care magic.
wish you a good health.
Dr. Ganesh.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a General Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor