What does a lump in vagina indicate?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2013
Mar 2013
Excellent
Question
Hi Doctor, I noticed a lump or bump on my vagina and I am extremely worried about it. It appeared about a month after a sexual encounter and I am worried it is a std. I have attached a few pictures of the bump. It is painless and does not itch or burn. It feels pretty firm and has been there for about a month. Is this bump HPV or Herpes? If so, what are next steps I should take? If not, what could have caused this bump to appear? I'm pretty sure this is due in some way to the sexual encounter I mentioned above. Thanks for your help.
Posted Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I NEED FEW DETAILS AND CLEAR PICTURES

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for writing to us with your health concern.
Actually, none of the 4 images uploaded by you are clear.
Can you please request clear, oriented images.
I am not even able to make out the parts that have been photographed, just a piece of bare skin and lots of hair next to it.
Was the sex a casual encounter or with a long standing partner.
Have both of you been screened for STDs ?
Have you ever had such bumps or lesions in the past ?
Please do write back with more details and particularly with good clear pictures.
Thank you.
Please feel free to discuss further.

Follow-up: What does a lump in vagina indicate? 47 minutes later
Hi doctor I've re-uploaded the pictures, I hope they work now. You may need to scroll down on the pictures to see the bump. I have never had these bumps before and the sexual encounter was casual, neither me or the guy has been screened for stds before. I am very worried the bump is HPV or herpes and have not been sexual active since I've seen the bump. Thank you for your help doctor and I hope I can confirm which STD this might be.

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
IT IS NOT AN STD, ANTIBIOTICS MAYBE NEEDED.

Detailed Answer:
Yes, I have scrolled through and also reduced the magnification.
It is NOT HPV or herpes.
In my opinion, it is a simple boil - also called a sebaceous cyst.
This is due to blockage and infection of the sweat glands in the area, near the hair follicles.
Often such boils resolve on their own, at times, antibiotics are required.
Has the size changed in the past month that you have noticed it ?
ALso, avoid touching the lesion.
Maintain strict perineal hygiene.
Wash hands after using the washroom, and always wipe from front to back.
Just use lukewarm water to clean the private parts, and no soaps, gels, douches, cleansers etc.
Wear cotton underpants and change often.
Try applying Mupirocin ointment on the boil and it should regress in a few days.
Please get back if it does not, oral antibiotics might be needed in that case.
Post a casual sexual encounter, getting and STD screen is always a good idea.

Follow-up: What does a lump in vagina indicate? 1 hour later
Thank you doctor, I am not too sure if the size has changed however I think it was a little bigger before but got smaller. I am not 100% sure however. I was really concerned this was a std as previous to this bump I just remembered now I saw another bump in my anal region which I at first ignored as it disappeared on it's own after a couple weeks. I have uploaded that picture of that bump as well, which was from about three months ago. In combination with this bump and the current one on my vagina (the anal bump has disappeared now), is the likelihood that these are stds? And if it is a cyst on my vagina and not a std, will it possibly go away on it's own without surgery? Thank you doctor.

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
GET STD SCREENING

Detailed Answer:
Unfortunately the pictures of the earlier bump are even more unclear.
Again, STDs do not seem likely ( did the anal bump too appear after unprotected sex ).
The earlier bump we discussed does NOT seem to be an STD.
IF antibiotics fail to resolve it , rarely it might have to be surgically removed.
Again, the opinions provided here are based on the visualization of a not very clear picture.
You should have thorough STD screening if you had unprotected casual sex.