What does a lump in inner thigh indicate?

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 25 Jun 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello. I am worried about a little bump in my inner left thigh that looks like a molluscum, I have had it for some months without any symptoms but in the last three days started to itch and now hurts, and from it there is a single red line that is spreading from it about 3 inches long into my groin. Does this mean its attacking my lymphatic system? Should I go to ER?
I can include pic in email. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Area secondarily infected; Requires oral antibioti

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for posting your query to the forum.

I can understand your concern for the bump and the red line on thigh region.

After reading your query with diligence and thoroughly analysing the picture I can make out that the area is secondarily infected.

I agree with your findings that it might had been a lesion of molluscum contagious or there could be second possibility of ingrown hair too which mimics molluscum. But at this time the area is secondarily infected by bacterial proliferation.

That's why you can see redness over the affected area as well as the red streak accompanying it. The red streak is simple lymphatic vessel which can usually appear red due to drainage of the area.

I suggest you certain important points-

- Do not try to pinch or pop the area.
-Do not apply any tape or do not try to cover the area.
-Clean the area with warm water and do not apply anything over it.
-Wear lose cotton clothes and let the area be properly ventilated.

Analysing the picture I suggest you to take an oral antibiotic under medical supervision. You should meet your family physician for the same.

Presently you can take a pain killers tablet which will reduce the pain as well as the redness and inflammation over it.

The streak of line will subside by itself and there is no need to worry about same.

I hope these informations will relax your concern. Iwill glad to answer any further queries.

With regards,

Dr Sanjay Kanodia
MD-Dermatlogy & Sexually transmitted diseases
Follow up: Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 35 minutes later
I have some cephalexin 500 mg I can start with and I have mupiricin ointment which was an antibiotic they prescribed when my husband had a staph aureus in his skin. Should I put some mupiricin until I see doc on monday.
Thanks for your reply
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Maintain hygiene; no touch; Mupirocin

Detailed Answer:

Welcome again to the forum and thanks for follow up.

In my patients with your kind of problem I prefer to give antibiotics like cephalic. A full course of 5 to days is required.

Applying Mupirocin helps a lot in reducing the infection. A very thin layer is to be applied so that it should be visible to the naked eye.

Rest all the measures are as told before. Specifically I suggest you to not to touch the area unnecessarily.

You will bealright in few days.

My all best wishes for your earliest recovery.

I hope these informations will relax you. I will be glad to answer any further queries or if not then can close the discussion and rate the answer.

For any future queries you can ask me directly at-

bit.ly/drsanjaykanodia

with regards,

Dr Sanjay Kanodia