Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
197 Doctors are Online

What does a lump in breast indicate?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 10209 Questions
i am 32 yrs old. i have quite lumpy breasts. i noticed a small lump on my left breast , on the areola about 3 months ago. i wasnt too concerned as my breast are lumpy. but i recently noticed that there is dimpling on the areola where the lump is. the lump has got bigger and it doesnt move. i have also noticed a bit of discharge on my bras, the lump is now the size of a pea. my doctor thinks that is a fibrodemia but i have read that tehy are easily moved around and mines doesnt.... i am quite concerned
Posted Mon, 3 Mar 2014 in Breast Cancer
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 42 minutes later
Brief Answer: at your age, a fibroadenoma more likely Detailed Answer: HI, thanks for using healthcare magic It is understandable to be concerned. Breast cancer most commonly occurs in older women though it can young women as well. In younger persons, there may be a family history of breast cancer that increased the risk. A fibroadenoma is a lump made up fibrous (scar) and gland tissue of the breast. Though it may vary from one person to the next, they are normally firm, movable, not tender, smooth. It is possible that it is a fibroadenoma though it does not fit all of the criteria. It may be best to have an ultrasound of the breast. Normally when breast have a lot of lumps, an ultrasound may a better choice than a mammogram. It would be best to have it checked to make sure that it is a fibroadenoma (this is most likely at your age). I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What does a lump in breast indicate? 6 days later
Thanks for the reply. There is a history of breast cancer in my family. one of my aunts had it at 26 years old and had the breast removed and also had it in the other breast at 38 years old. I have also had to go back to my GP in recent days as there is a slight indent on my breast and my GP said that the nipple looks slighty inverted.....
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 29 minutes later
Brief Answer: may suggest further imaging Detailed Answer: HI With family history, there is an increased risk but this increase does not mean you will definitely develop breast cancer, there is still just a chance of it occurring. Inversion may sometimes, in some not all women, indicate that a mass in the breast is pulling on the nipple and surrounding skin. Also with present modern techniques and medications, if you do unfortunately develop breast cancer, there are effective treatment options available to you. In addition to the imaging, you might want to consider asking your doctor whether testing for the BRCA 1 and BRCA 2 are possible. These are genes in the body that produce tumor suppressor proteins (proteins that decrease the chance of breast cancer developing). Persons who have mutations or alterations in these genes (BRCA 1 and 2) , are at increased risk. As scary as it may be right now, it is important to remember no diagnosis of breast cancer has been made, at your age, it is unlikely. Please feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Oncologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor