What does a lump in abdomen indicate?

Dr. Ashish Verma

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 21 Aug 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Question: Hey
lately I have been having slight stomach discomfort, it is not painful its just a sensation that is irritating me and Im getting so worried. in my abdomen. I also have this lump in my abdomen towards the right side its firm with a bit of give feels irregular shaped??Does the swelling or lump in my abdomen that I mentioned have anything to do with this at all??..only lately my stool appeared to be very soft (watery) some times loose stool..kind of..
Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
needs clinical examination and usg

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

Welcome again to HealthcareMagic.

Pain abdomen, with an irregular shaped lump, definitely warrents a clinical examination and an ultrasound, to assertain the origin and nature of that lump.

There are high chances that that lump is causing you all your problems. A clinical examination is very essential if we need to arrive at the cause.

Hope I have been helpful.

Dr. Ashish Verma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Ashish Verma 25 minutes later
I dont have any pain its just often I get a weird sensation (not painful), the lump is like an odd shape, I do seem to be getting loose/soft stools on occasions too...could you tell me the possibilities of this it's quite stressful waiting for an appointment.
Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would not think of sinister causes...

Detailed Answer:

It unfortunate that you can't get an examination early. In the absence of physical examination an ultrasound scan is an useful tests to help us isolate the cause. But I guess you cannot have an ultrasound either. So I shall base my answer based on your history alone.

Consider your age, I would not list cancerous causes first in the list of possibilities. Further a mass arising from liver are usually not irregular in shape and ovarian masses are not easily palpable. Therefore in my list of differentials, I list intestinal pathology first. Bowel disturbance history also goes in line with this differential diagnosis. Worm infestation can be sometimes felt as irregular lump. Colitis and inflammatory bowel disease are other close possible causes.

Alternatively, this irregular mass may be arising from soft tissue. In such cases bowel disturbance could be an incidental finding.

In short and brief words, please do not be concerned. Based on your symptoms and your age, sinister condition are unlikely to be the first diagnosis. Watch over closely and wait for appointment.

Dr. Ashish Verma
Follow up: Dr. Ashish Verma 43 minutes later
Okay many thanks for a detailed answer,

This is very hard for me to explain, I am not in any form of severe pain, when I describe stomach discomfort it seems to be a strange pulling sensation, I have scheduled an appointment in 7 days. I do find that I do empty my bowels more regular, stools vary

As far as the lump/mass go's it is not large or small would say medium sized sounds strange but it feels longish, soft and firm if that make sense (it has a bit of give when pushed), doesn't cause me any pain but with me pressing on it, it has become a little tender

Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
wait till your appointment

Detailed Answer:

As per your description of the lump I am not able to reach any definite diagnosis. So I guess you need to wait till your appointment.

Anyways, you are not having any severe discomfort from it, so a seven day wait should not be of much a problem.

Keep a watch over it, and in case of the pain getting severe or any vomiting, you may show in an emergency room.

Dr. Ashish Verma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari