What does a lump below the knee bone indicate?

General Surgeon
Question
I am a 42 year old male. About 4 weeks ago I discovered a small (1 cm) painless lump about 5cm below my right tibial tuberosity and about 1cm medially from the tibia. It if firm and seems to get bigger when I extend my leg and smaller and more movable when I bend my knee. It is round and the margins seem regular. I am a runner and have had plantar and achilles tendonitis. I do have very tight leg muscles in general and have gained some weight and just back to increasing my mileage. Any thoughts on what this lump could be?
Posted Sun, 24 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
could be a lipoma or soft tissue tumor

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HealthcareMagic.

As per your description, you seem to be having either lipoma (more likely) or a soft tissue tumor. But a clinical examination is a must to come to a definitive diagnosis.

So I would suggest that you show it to a surgeon for a clinical evaluation. An ultrasound or maybe a needle biopsy will also be needed to help reach a diagnosis.

Further management will depend upon the needle biopsy report.

Hope i have been helpful.

Dr. Ashish Verma

Follow-up: What does a lump below the knee bone indicate? 12 hours later
I have had a lipoma in my neck that has been present for about 20 years. Do you think that makes it more likely that this is a lipoma?

Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
needs a clinical examination

Detailed Answer:

I assume the lump in the neck is diagnosed as lipoma by a doctor.

Presence of lipoma in the neck doesn't confirm this lump on the leg as lipoma, though we do see cases of multiple lipoma. I insist you get this lump physically examined. The size, shape, consistency, mobility and other features should be documented by the examining doctor. This will help us arrive at a diagnosis. Ultrasound scan and if needed biopsy will be performed.

Hope I have answered your question.

Dr. Ashish Verma