What does a lump below ears indicate?

Posted on Sat, 28 Feb 2015 in Lump
Question: I have a lump on my jaw just below my left ear? Most prominent when I open my mouth. Is it a reason to go to the doctor? I just got it this morning. It is very hard to open my mouth very wide. It is sore. Is it a dental thing or a physician issue?
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
see doctor

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for your question. It could be a cyst, abscess or lymph node but it is best to have your doctor take a look at it.
It sounds more like a doctor issue than a dental issue.
If you are having pain from it it is best to get it checked out to make sure that it is nothing serious.
Since you just got it this morning, if you do not have a fever or other symptoms, I think it would also be okay to wait a week or so to see if it just goes away on its own. Definitely if it is not going away and remains painful you need to see your doctor.
Dr. Robinson
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Kathy Robinson