What does a lump behind the ear indicate?

Posted on Thu, 17 Aug 2017 in Lump
Question: back left side of head in area behind ear when to doc because of lump and neck burning for two weeks
he said infection but didn't give me anything. went back again he wasn't in seen someone else they said its a cyst or something to do with fat not sure.
either way neck still kind burns and I can feel this swollen lump it doesn't hurt I can feel it behind my ear. 6 weeks later
any advice or thoughts
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
consider an ultrasound

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

The lesion/lump may be a cyst or lipoma as your doctor mentioned. It is also possible that it is an enlarged lymph node
If it persists, your doctor can consider an ultrasound of the lump so that you can definitively determine what it is.

Burning or other abnormal sensations are commonly due abnormal function of the nerves (neuralgia).
This can temporary or permanent and may be related to the lump, it is possible that it may affecting nerves in the area.

Some of the other causes of neuralgia are : (1) low levels of vitamin b12 or folate
(2)diabetes
(3)trauma
(4)thyroid disease
(5)liver or kidney disease
(6)exposure to toxins
(7)abnormal levels of vitamin b6
(8)infection

Your next step may be to note the size of the lump so you can determine if it changes.
Consider an ultrasound.

Blood tests to rule out any of the above can also be considered if the burning continues

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Dr. Michelle Gibson James