What does a lump behind the ear indicate?

Dr. Hari Charan Perigela

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 13 Mar 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have a rubbey lump on the back of my ear. It has been there for about a month (at least that is when i first noticed it) in the last week it has become sore to touch. It is not red and has not grown or changed in shape just became sore.
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It could be a Lymphnode.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Swelling behind the ear which is sore on touch could be an Enlarged Lymphnode.Antibiotic and anti inflammatory tablet will reduce the swelling.
Another possibility is a Post auricular DERMOID CYST.
FNAC (Fine needle aspiration cytology )will give a clue about the diagnosis. If it is inconclusive ,swelling has to be removed completely and send it for Histopathological examination (Biopsy).Exact diagnosis will be confirmed.
Nothing to worry.
Please consult your doctor and proceed further.
Hope I answered your query.
Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D