What does a lump behind ear indicate?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 30 Dec 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have a small tender lump behind my ear behind my left ear lobe. What could this be?
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Sebaceous cyst most probably.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query, albeit small and specific.

The commonest cause can be a sebaceous cyst. This can become tender die to fiddling with or due to an infection.
Less common is lipoma, but it never becomes tender.
The lymph node is not very near the ear lobule, it is a bit far away on the mastoid bone.

I would advise you to see an ENT or General Surgeon for an accurate clinical diagnosis on physical examination; start an antibiotic and get it removed if advised so.

I hope this answer helps you get an accurate diagnosis and treatment at the earliest.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Is this something that can wait over 2
Days. My doctors office is closed for the day.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can.

Detailed Answer:
Certainly you can wait, if there is no pain or redness.
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 41 hours later
Its tender to the touch, soft when my ear isnt bent but hard when i fold my ear to feel it. Its not red, at the base behind the lobe. Very worried
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Do not worry .

Detailed Answer:
This is most probably a small sebaceous cyst and nothing to worry at all.
This is not red, you can certainly get examined wherever possible , nad if a cyst please get it operated as it is small now- a small surgery will get your disease out and there will be a confirmed diagnosis.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj