Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

131 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

What does a large lump below my knee indicate?

Answered by
Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Practicing since :1984

Answered : 16645 Questions

Posted on Wed, 5 Dec 2018 in Lump
Question: I have a rather large lump on my right leg just below my knee it is about 3 inches long and 2 inches wide
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please give additional information and post clear photographs.

Detailed Answer:


Thanks for your query.

Noted the history and understood the concerns.

Please give additional information for me to assist you better:
Since when is the lump present?
Is it gradually increasing in size?
Pain or tenderness on pressure?
Is it on the back side of knee or at other places.
Does it reduce on bending the knee?
Any pain or discomfort during movements of the knee?

Awaiting for your feedback.

Please post clear and focused photos if possible.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
All previous requests were for my brother who is now deceased. The lump on my leg I only noticed this morning. No pain. Located just below knee on left side of knee. Does not reduce when bent
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Bursitis as the commonest cause.

Detailed Answer:

Hi again,

Thanks for your partial feedback.

Please give more details and photos if possible as this help.
Such a large painless lump below the knee which does not reduce can be due to the following reasons:
Bursitis meaning inflammation with or without accumulation of fluid: This cannot be moved with skin.
Angio-neurotic edema under the skin: this is not attached to deep structures and hence can be moved with the skin.
This can be diagnosed by the following:
Clinical evaluation and examination by your Doctor or an Orthopedic Surgeon.
Ultrasonography/ MRI helps further and done if needed.
Until then give rest to the knee.

I hope this answer helps you.

Dr. T Chandrakant, General Surgeon

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on