What does a high MPV count in blood test report suggest?

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: had a blood test done and the Lipase is low and the MPV is High. Testing liver, gallbladder and pancreas.
Answered by Dr. Rovena Murati 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.

Welcome to Healthcare Magic.

Different labs use different references regarding normal range.For this reason a value of MPV 10.7 is considered high from this lab but it is considered normal is we refer to the reference values used from other labs.
A normal range of MPV varies from 7.5 - 11.5. So a value of 10.7 is not considered abnormal and if all other blood parameters in CBC are normal ,then it is not of concern.

Regarding Lipase level ,reference values for people over 16 years are 10-73 U/L.So your level of 14 is not very low.
A low level of lipase would suggest pancreatic disorders so an abdominal ultrasound are necessary just to exclude any possible pathological cause.
If the ultrasound is normal and the liver ,pancreas look normal and you don't have any symptoms or clinical finding that would suggest any specific problem ,you have nothing to worry about.
Is very important to evaluate the results of blood tests based on the clinical findings and symptoms.

Hope it helps.
Let me know if you have any question.

Kind regards,
Dr.Rovena Murati

Dr. Rovena Murati