question-icon

What does a high ESR value indicate?

Posted on Wed, 30 Apr 2014
Question: What does a high ESR ( Wintrobe ) of 27 indicate? I have done a blood test and the result shows ESR of 27. Please help what could be the reason
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary (10 hours later)
Brief Answer: Indicates a disease state, most likely PCOD in you Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to healthcare Magic! ESR indicates acute or chronic inflammatory conditions or a disturbance of blood viscocity. It can be raised due to simple health issues like recent viral infections or may be due to serious health issues like anemia,tuberculosis or malignancy. In your case it seems to be related to PCOD. ESR itself is not a disease but a nonspecific marker of disease condition. I hope the advise would be informative and useful for you. Take Care!
Dr. Ram Choudhary