• question-icon

What does a heart rate of 70 indicate?

Posted on Mon, 7 Aug 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I am 66 year old male in good health. My cardiac calcium score was zero 6 years back. I am a ex semi professional tennis player and had a heart rate of 48. Last 7 years I do cardiac exercise and my resting heart rate is 57. Last night I had 2 beers, 2.5 glasses of red wine and a big cup of tea in a party talking to friends. I noticed my heart rate was 70. This morning the heart rate is about 60. Is this ok? Please explain. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It's all fine, you are in good shape

Detailed Answer:
Hello Sir

After going through the medical details provided by you I can understand your concern for your health and I would like to tell you that a Calcium score of zero is really great.

A resting heart rate of 57 is really good which signifies your heart is in good shape. The normal recommended range of heart rate for a healthy adult is around 70 to 80 bpm.

Now as you had beer, wine Which basically are alcohol so they increases the metabolism in the body there by increasing the heart rate. Also you had a big cup of tea which most likely is not your daily routine. As tea also contains caffeine and caffeine increase the sympathetic drive of the body which in turn causes fast heart rate.

So don't worry and relax your heart rate is still perfectly within normal limits.

I hope this information will answer your query and relieve your worries.

Kind regards
Dr Bhanu partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Bhanu Partap

Cardiologist