What does a heart rate of 45 to 50 indicate?

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Thu, 2 Mar 2017 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Question: Naturally I have a heart rate of 45-50 when I'm rest which I believe is normal and since I have anxiety and panic disorder I was prescribed 3 meds Klonopins , clonidine and paxil. I just took .005 of clonidine and I usually only take .1 of it during the day and I noticed that my heart beat slowed down to 42 and I know it isn't a big deal but how dangerous is it for someone like me to take clonidine ? somewhat dangerous or not dangerous at all ? I don't feel dizzy or anything when my heart beats that slow.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No harm if you have always had a low heart rate

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. Unless you are hypertensive, I do not see any reason for you to be prescribed clonidine.

As you have not mentioned hypertension in your history, I cannot be sure or comment on the same. And even if you have hypertension, better selection of medications to help control your blood pressure should be chosen to help prevent a drop in your heart rate.

As for the rate of 42 beats per minute, it can be normal for certain people as yourself, unless there is an underlying heart condition which you have not mentioned. But either way, we should not prescribe you any medications that can cause a further drop in your heart rate.

I hope this answers your question. If it doesn't, or if you have any further doubts, please write to me and I would be more than happy to help.

Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D