What does a foul odour from the scalp indicate in an elderly patient?

Dr. Suresh Heijebu

Posted on Wed, 5 Sep 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: For the past 2 to 3 months my 66 year old husband has this “old man” smell on his head. He can take a shower and within two to three hours it smells again. I have been on chemo and I know my senses might be heightened but I can smell him across the room. I have to change his pillow case every two days. It is very nauseating to me. We went to the Dermatologist for another reason and I asked him about it, he looked at me like I was nuts and said he had never heard anything like that. What can I do?
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Possibly related to chemotherapy.

Detailed Answer:

As per your symptoms, the possibility of an altered sensory perception of smell does exist while on chemotherapy.

Simultaneously there's also the existence of associated features like nausea or vomiting.

Hence under this preview, I would like to conclude that the altered sensory perception of smell exists during chemotherapy.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Suresh Heijebu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee