What does a foul odor near the groin indicate?
trying to find out if my question was answered
Continue the antifungal, add an anti-bacterial
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.
It is likely due to a fungal infection though some persons have a mixed infection with both fungi and bacteria.
Friction between the skin folds along with moisture and heat, cause inflammation in these areas.
Treatment involves-(1) when at home or whenever possible the folds should be separated by linen or cotton material to reduce friction
(2)lotrimin is fine, it should be used twice daily. Unfortunately fungal infections can take 2 to 3 weeks to completely respond to treatment.
If it is not working for you , there are other options such as miconazole or ketoconazole or econazole
(3)you may want to consider adding an anti bacterial cream as well such as neosporin or fucidin or bactroban. Also twice daily
If there is any itching then 2 to 3 days of a mild steroid cream such as hydrocortisone, would help
Hope I have answered your query.
Dr. Michelle Gibson James, General & Family Physician
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What do lumps in stomach and groin indicate
- What does pain in the groin during pregnancy indicate
- What does a painless lump under the groin indicate
- What could on and off vibration in groin area indicate
- What does a painful mass in the groin indicate
- Foul odor in male groin
- Men groin foul odor sticky
- What does painful lump in the groin indicate
- What does a lump in groin area indicate
- What causes lump near groin