What does a fluctuation in blood pressure mean?

Dr. Sagar Makode

Cardiologist

Posted on Tue, 12 Jun 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I took my blood pressure at a pharmacy because I was feeling strange. It generally runs a little low. Anyway, the first reading was 93/41. Concerned, I took it again and it read 131/93. Took it once more but I don't remember exactly what it was but it was somewhere in between. My chest feels strange a lot lately but I wrote the strange readings off to the fact that the machine probably needed to be calibrated. What do you think?
Answered by Dr. Sagar Makode 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, likely a machine was not properly calibrated

Detailed Answer:
Yes, you are right. Its not possible for bp to have such variations and strange readings. This is all machines fault. It also depends upon the position of arm, for example if it is flexed at elbow, machine will show falsely low bp. So need to worry about it and also low bp usually causes dizziness, syncope, excessive weakness rather than strange feeling in chest.
Regarding strange feeling within chest, there are multiple reasons, but we always worried about cardiac problems. Many a times, it's just due to gastritis and reflux disease, which usually associated bloating, burping, epigastric pain, chest burning etc.
Regarding possibility of cardiac cause, firstly symptoms like chest pain or discomfort, heaviness usually occurs on exertion and relieves with rest. If occurs at rest usually associated sweating, uneasiness. Its also important to know any risk factors like hypertension, family history, smoking etc. I don't really of cardiac cause in you, but it's better if you can get ecg done as your symptoms are frequent and we need to be assured. Also, keep watch for any symptoms on exertion or walking.
Hope this helps you and get back if you have any doubts.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad