What does a flat mole on shoulder indicate?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2013
Dec 2013
Excellent

Dermatologist
Question
I've submitted several requests for mole examinations over the past few days and I would like to submit one more.
the mole in question is on my shoulder. its not changed or had any evolutions. it is flat and less than 6mm in size. this mole has been on my shoulder for as long as I can remember.
Posted Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Dysplastic nevus:preferred to excise it

Detailed Answer:
Hello young fellow,

Thanks for posting another query related to your mole on shoulder. I already answered one of your query related to the growth on back.

I can understand your anxiousness as I can see you are posting one after other query related to your moles. I consider somehow better also as it is always better to get the best information before you visit your dermatologist and can utilize the best of visit.

Now regarding your present mole: There certain specific features of the mole which can be delineated- varying color with dark and light shades, diffuse margins and size appearing to be more than 6 mm. All these feature indicate the area towards a dysplastic nevus ( A mole different from rest of normal appearing mole).

If I were your treating dermatologist then would have gone for dermoscopic examination and then preferred to excise it. I would have gone for histo-pathological examination of the area to confirm for actual status of the area.

In my experience most of these mole are totally normal and I remove these to be on the safer side.

I think you got my idea of treating your present mole near shoulder region. I reassure you that these type of moles are not always turn into melanoma but it is always better that by active care we can prevent any complication later.

I do appreciate and understand your concern and give due regards for the same.

My all best wishes for your healthy life.

With regards,

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD- Dermatology & Sexually transmitted diseases