What does a fever with UTI indicate?

Dr. Saumya Mittal

Diabetologist

Posted on Sat, 24 Feb 2018 in General Health
Question: My mother in law (76) has a 103 temp , skin is cold to touch and has a UTI.She has bad asthma also. What could be going on?
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need more details

Detailed Answer:
hello.
I am Dr Mittal.
I have read your message.
I need more details.

First , you said temperature is 103.
which means the temperature is high.
Then you said skin is cold.
Please clarify since the two things cannot happen simultaneously.

Second , there is a history of passing out. please tell us more about this in detail.

Third, how was the uti diagnosed? have you met a doctor? what do they say? what's her BP?

Fourth, what are her comorbidities? Diabetes etc? Any regular medicines? Except asthma that you mentioned. Medications?

Fifth. Any reports?

As of now it sounds like sepsis with septic encephalopathy, due to uti. And she may need admission for iv antibiotics.

Please let us know the details.
Dr Mittal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T