What does a faint line on a pregnancy kit indicate?

Posted on Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Pregnancy
Question: hello,
I took a pregnancy test it was negative as have all the other test I have taken over the last three months. However it was an first signal walmart brand test. Hours later I saw it in the trash and it had an very faint positive line. The box said do not read after 10 minutes. I have seen three doctors, taken many blood test and had 2 ultrasounds all negative. Could the test turn positive after the ten minute time period? If so why would this happen? I'm really scared, and no longer able to rationalize things I would really appreciate a full explanation.
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi, Please do not worry!

Detailed Answer:
Yes! In my opinion you are not pregnant, the faint positive line is false positive pregnancy test, which may occur in some cases.
This faint line is called evaporation line which occurs due to urine become dry in pregnancy kit that's why it is suggested not to see result after 10 min.
So please do not worry!
Do not consult any doctor.
Believe me you are not pregnant.
I think I have answered your query if you have further questions I will be happy to help you.
Good luck.
Dr. Richa
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Richa Agarwal

OBGYN