• question-icon

What does a dark brown spot on the stomach indicate?

Posted on Wed, 19 Jul 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have noticed a dark brown spot about the size of a quarter on my stomach about 2 inches to the left of my navel if you were looking at my stomach front-view. I noticed a very faint version of this a month ago, then it seemed to disappear or virtually disappear, and yesterday I noticed it had returned in a very dark form.
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Seems fixed drug eruption

Detailed Answer:
Hi

This seems like fixed drug eruption. Have you taken any medicines recently? Do you have any other significant medical history?

Since it does not have irregular borders, also its not growing fast, its less likely to be cancerous (melanoma). Nonetheless an examination by a physician is needed to rule it out. They may prescribe biopsy of the lesion to confirm diagnosis.

Waiting for your reply.

Dr Vaishalee

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Vaishalee Punj 1 hour later
Thank you, Doctor.

I'm not taking any medicines. Just "Balance of Nature" fruit and vegetable capsules for about two months and a fish oil capsule with vitamin D every morning.

I'm wondering if it could be LIVER-related, because the only thing different in my life in the past two weeks has been a daughter's wedding week in which we all drank alcohol to some excess, including drinks with heavy rum which I normally never drink.

Your opinion on that would be appreciated.

Meanwhile I will plan to have a physician take a look at it.

Thank you, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
Fish oil is a medicine

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

I consider fish oil a medicine as it has many side effects. You may discontinue it and see if it improves the lesion. Drink cleaner water while you are getting off it to reduce the gastrointestinal changes during withdrawal.

Liver related conditions usually cause jaundice i.e yellowishness of skin. Biliary cirrhosis in alcoholics can cause hyperpigmentation (dark skin) in some patients. It is usually on a larger part of body.

Dr Vaishalee
Dr. Vaishalee Punj