question-icon

What does a creatinine level of 12.6 suggest?

Posted on Tue, 12 May 2015
Question: my doctor said my creatinine is 12.6 can you explan that to me?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James (46 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
used to assess kidney function

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Creatinine is used mainly to assess kidney function. Blood or urine creatinine can be measured.

If the kidneys are not working well then the creatinine in the blood increases because it builds up in the body since it is not being removed.
It is formed by breakdown or metabolism of aspects of muscle.

Creatinine levels may also be increased in persons with high protein intake though abnormal kidney function is the main cause.

Creatinine range is 0.4 to 1.1 mg/dl in females

Your value is above this range and may indicate that there is abnormal kidney function.

Urine tests may be suggested.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Dr. Michelle Gibson James