• question-icon

What does a calcium buildup on a knee replacement mean?

Posted on Wed, 1 Jun 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: What does a calcium buildup on a knee replacement mean? What are my options?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Myositis ossificans: Myositis (muscle inflammation); ossificans: bone form

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. A knee replacement provides an individual with increased mobility and a new set of knees that help them go about activities they used to may be at least 10 years back or earlier.

But as time progresses, the soft tissue around the joint begins to develop calcium deposits which are basically just like a stone or excess bone growing in or around the region. This condition is called myositis ossificans.

In myositis ossificans new bone is formed around the knee (sides, top) which results in increased stiffness, reduced mobility and pain. This is a common complication and may require revision surgery during which the excess bone is removed and the prosthesis may also be chosen to be changed.

I hope I have explained things in a manner best understood by you. Please do not hesitate to write to me sir, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.
Dr. Shoaib Khan