What does a burning sensation in the knuckles indicate?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Have burning in my knuckles all across ,both hands. Some days pretty bad.
Tue, 8 May 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
onset of peripheral neuropathy

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting the question.
I have gone through your medical history in detail.

Burning sensation in your knuckles across both hands is a sign of early onset of peripheral neuropathy.Deficiency of vitamins,especially Vitamin B 6 and B 12 is responsible for such symptoms.

Another reason for such burning knuckles may be some underlying skin lesion.This leads to constant irritation and burning in the areas affected..

Rarely,arthritis (inflammation of underlying joint) can also cause such kind of reactionary burning in the overlying knuckles.

I would suggest you to take multivitamin tablets with calcium and vitamin D supplements for a minimum of 21 days.The symptoms should subside till then.

If the symptoms do not show signs of improvement ,then you should consult a doctor and get an Xray of the affected part done to rule out underlying arthritis.

Anti inflammatory tablets like ibuprofen,etorocoxib,paracetamol should take care of the inflammatory part.

Application of castor oil over the affected knuckles with gentle massage twice daily will accelerate the healing process.

I hope the answer was useful.

Feel free to ask me any follow up queries that you may have.

Thank you.
Kind regards.