What does a bicuspid pulmonary valve indicate?
No problems acutely
Hi and welcome to HCM. Thank you for your question. I understand your concern.
Yes, indeed, this is a rare finding. In most of cases, in your age, it is an incidental finding, mostly when someone undergoes a spontaneous echo cardiogram. However, it is known that this is not a problematic finding until is starts to exert changes in the pulmonary circulation, i.e. until the fifth or sixth decade of life. The mildly dilated pulmonic artery is merely a compensatory mechanism to the functional narrowing, provided by the pulmonic valve with two cusps. At this moment, my recommendation is that there is nothing to be worried about. Based on the updated indications, I would recommend you to conduct an echo cardiogram once in two years until the age of 50, and yearly afterwards.
I hope my answer is helpful. I am happy to help, if you have follow-up questions.
Hi again and welcome back
No, it is not a reported complication. It takes for the artery to lose all of its layer, in order that the artery could be in risk for dissection.
I hope this follow-up is helpful.
If you do not have any further questions, kindly close the discussion and rate the answer.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Pulmonary valve stenosis in adults
- Pulmonary valve doming
- Pulmonary valve replacement causes
- Pulmonary valve stenosis
- Pediatric pulmonary valve replacement
- Pulmonary valve stenosis causes
- Dysplastic pulmonary valve in newborn
- S bicuspid pulmonary valve a concern
- Bicuspid pulmonary valve and chest pain
- What is a bicuspid pulmonary valve
- What causes rapid heart rate in a healthy adult?
- What causes sudden fluctuations in BP levels?
- Suggest treatment for heart palpitations and severe anxiety
- Suggest treatment for low heart rate and high thyroid levels
- What causes stabbing left-sided chest pain, dizziness and throbbing...
- What causes weight gain while on Verapamil for atrial fibrillation?
- What does high heart rate and abnormal WBC count indicate?
- Is it safe to stop taking Losartan due to low BP?
- What causes increased pulse rate after discontinuing Atenolol?
- What causes hearing pulse and heart sounds?