What does a bent middle finger that cannot straighten indicate?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 2 Aug 2018 in General Health
Question: My middle finger on my left hand won't straighten & an area of my palm that appears to connect with the finger is very tender to the touch.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Trigger finger is there.

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through your query you are having trigger finger.

Trigger finger is a condition in which one of your fingers gets stuck in a bent position. Your finger may bend or straighten with a snap — like a trigger being pulled and released.
Trigger finger is also known as stenosing tenosynovitis . It occurs when inflammation narrows the space within the sheath that surrounds the tendon in the affected finger. If trigger finger is severe, your finger may become locked in a bent position.
People whose work or hobbies require repetitive gripping actions are at higher risk of developing trigger finger. The condition is also more common in women and in anyone with diabetes. Treatment of trigger finger varies depending on the severity.

Trigger finger treatment varies depending on its severity and duration.
Medications

Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs — such as ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin IB) or naproxen (Aleve) — may relieve the pain but are unlikely to relieve the swelling constricting the tendon sheath or trapping the tendon.
Therapy

Conservative noninvasive treatments may include:

Rest. Avoid activities that require repetitive gripping, repeated grasping or the prolonged use of vibrating hand-held machinery until your symptoms improve. If you can't avoid these activities altogether, padded gloves may offer some protection.
A splint. Your doctor may have you wear a splint at night to keep the affected finger in an extended position for up to six weeks. The splint helps rest the tendon.
Stretching exercises. Your doctor may also suggest gentle exercises to help maintain mobility in your finger.
In last and sever cases you need Steroid injection,Percutaneous release and Surgery.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal