What does a Hematocrit level of 48.7 indicate?

Dr. Sassen S Kwasa

Posted on Fri, 30 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: Hematocrit 48.7, hemoglobin 16.4, RBC 5.4 in 64 year old female. Any reason for concern? Liver, Kidney and all other blood tests within normal range.
Answered by Dr. Sassen S Kwasa 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There is no reason for concern

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM. I do not see any reason for concern. Do you smoke? Your Hemoglobin is a touch high, but certainly nothing I would even work up. We see that elevation with someone who has asthma, COPD, has OSA (Obstructive Sleep Apnea) and those who snore. Nothing to do even if you have the above readings, other times if your blood was taken when you were dehydrated, then the blood becomes concentrated and gives you a slightly higher hemoglobin value. I hope this helps and good luck.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Sassen S Kwasa 3 hours later
Thank you. What about the the hematocrit and the RBC counts?
Answered by Dr. Sassen S Kwasa 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome. They are percentages that correlate to the hemoglobin.

Detailed Answer:
They thus are mostly proportional to each other. And therefore, yours are not out of order to be concerned about. Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina