What does a HbA1c test result of 7.5 indicate?

Dr. Abhay A Mali

Diabetologist

Posted on Tue, 7 Mar 2017 in Diabetes
Question: I have recently undergone medical tests which included a HbA1c test. The HbA1c result is 7,5.
I have taken similar tests about 8 months back(21-05-2016) when I have taken a term policy. The HbA1c value at that time is 5.6.

what can be inferred from these values?
I am not diabetic and doesnt have a family history of diabetes. Can you please let me know what to do now? What are the ways to control the HbA1c value to normal?

Thanks,
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Abhay A Mali 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
HbA1c of 7.5 confirms diagnosis of Diabetes.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your question.
Noted your concern.

HbA1c of 6.5 and more denotes Diabetes.
HbA1c 5.7 to 6.4 denotes Pre-diabetes.

I may suggest you to consult nearby diabetologist.
There is a need for detailed physical examination. In such a case I may suggest following evaluation
- Fast & post-prandial blood sugar levels.
- Lipid Profile.
- Renal Function Test.
- Liver Function Test.
- Complete Blood Count.
- Urine examination.

Depending upon physical examination and above test results there may be need to start on treatment for diabetes.

Basically to control HbA1c (in other way to control Diabetes) following things are important -
- Diet follow strict diabetic diet.
Better to consult nearby Dietitian who can plan diet for you depending upon your Body mass index and Food habits.
- Regular exercise.
Usually 150min per week of moderate degree physical activity may be suggested.
- Weight control.
- Medication :
Depending upon physical examination, basic laboratory evaluation type of Diabetes can be considered and appropriate treatment can be suggested.

Hope this helps you.

Dr Abhay Mali.
Diabetologist.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Abhay A Mali 14 hours later
Hi Doctor,
Thanks for your response.
Your response got me quite upset as you have diagnosed me as diabetic.
As per your suggestion on the tests, I am attaching all the reports of the tests I have underwent. These include lipid profile and liver function tests. But not sure about the others you have mentioned. Can you please go through these reports and suggest me my next course of action?
Also can you please clarify me with my doubts on diabetes?
1. I have heard and read that diabetes is like a slow poison. Is that true? Does this affect my life span?
2. Do I have to live with it for my complete life and use medicines for the rest of my life?
3. Can I cure this completely using some medication or treatment and become non diabetic?
4. How much severe is my current reading of 7.5 for Hb1Ac? Can this be ever brought down to normal range of 4-5?

Thanks,
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Abhay A Mali 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Diagnosis of Diabetes is based on HbA1c level.

Detailed Answer:
I can understand your situation.

But HbA1c of 7.5 (done by Standard method) denotes diabetes.
One should accept diabetes as some restrictions imposed by nature on life style rather than thinking as slow poison.

Except for lipid profile and HbA1c all other investigation reports are within normal limit.

Answers to your questions one by one-
1) Diabetes is a life long disease. It has many types of complications over body when it is uncontrolled.
Most of the persons with diabetes live normal life span when they follow exercise, diabetic diet and regular medications.

2) Whether to continue medicines life long or simple life style modification (diet, exercise, weight control) may be helpful, usually depends upon type of diabetes (Type 2 diabetes is more likely in your case), your height weight, regular blood sugar check ups.

3) Diabetes cannot be cured it can be controlled with life style modification and appropriate medicines. Life style modifications need to be continued life long with or without medicines.
In some cases of Very obese patients with diabetes can become non diabetic after loosing significant amount of weight.

4) At the time of diagnosis HbA1c always high. But with appropriate life style changes and medicines it can definitely be kept under control.
Considering your age and recent diagnosis of diabetes there are very good chances of HbA1c reduction.
But one can not predict level of reduction.
One should target HbA1c at least below 7 and further as low as possible with appropriate measures.

You should consult near by diabetologist for detailed physical examination and to start appropriate management.

Hope this helps you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj