question-icon

What does a BP of 150/108 while on Venlafaxine XR indicate?

Posted on Wed, 20 Jul 2016
Question: My blood pressure is 150/108, I am on venlafaxine XR since last four years. I haven't visited doctor regarding my venlafaxine dose since last three years but I am taking the venlafaxine as suggested initially.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar (50 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
It seems you are developing side effect of Venlafaxine

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

The current blood pressure recording is definitely abnormal and you need to take proper precaution in this regard. In addition I like to inform you that although blood pressure can be raised by without any reason but venlafaxine is known cause of increased blood pressure.
It is possible that your current blood pressure is due to continued use of venlafaxine without any monitoring.

Having said this visit your doctor as soon as possible as the blood pressure of more than 100 diastolic is serious issue and should not be ignored.

I hope this helps you.
Thanks and regards.
Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist