What does ST depression of 1.5mm in an ECG report indicate?

Posted on Thu, 18 Jun 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Sir,
I am a doctor myself (MBBS, MD (PHARM)Over the past 3 months i have complaints of mild chest pain and breathlessness while talking and while doing elliptical training for 30 minutes. I took an ECG yesterday which showsST depression (1.5 mm) in LII, LIII and avf.Echo ef: 63%, trivial MR and mild TR,,no regional wall motion abnormality..what should i do next sir?
Answered by Dr. Divakara 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Get TMT test.

Detailed Answer:
HI

Greetings from Dr.Divakara.P

ST depression of 1.5mm is not significant ( considering your age ) But still for complete Evaluation I recommend a TMT test for you. Kindly get it done and revert back .

Hope this information was useful to you.
Any clarifications feel free to ask.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Divakara 1 hour later
Sure sir...I will get a TMT done...is there any necessity to perform troponin T now? (The pain has been there since 2 days and I took the ECG yesterday)I am not a known diabetic or hypertensive but slightly overweight (82 kg) for my age and height (162 cm).And my TSH was 5 microunits/ml.
Thank you for answering my question sir
XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Divakara 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Not needed.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX

Thanks for the follow up .

There is no need as the chest pain is not an acute event and moreover the pain occurs with exertion.

If at all there is a recent change in the character or severity of pain then you can get Troponin I test done but as of now not needed.

See you are a 28 year old female . You having a cardiac problem ( Ischemic heart disease ) is very unlikely but still for the sake of complete evaluation I have advised TMT.

So relax you pain is non cardiac.

Any clarification feel free to ask.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Divakara 42 hours later
Thank you sir for your reassuring reply.
I consulted a cardiologist and he said that my symptoms are due to anxiety and depression (he also said that it might be due to Tietz syndrome )and there's nothing to worry about MVP.But he's prescribed me bisoprolol 1.25 mg BD for 10 days in ddition to Chloroxazone + Paracetamol, Vitamin E + Carnitine and Phlogam.Now i am anxious to take bisoprolol since its a beta blocker which will slow down heart rate and make my blood pressure fall, and that i cannot withdraw them abruptly after 10 days. Can I start taking bisoprolol sir?
Answered by Dr. Divakara 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
No need for Bisoprolol.

Detailed Answer:
HI

Thanks for the follwo up.

Well as per my opinion there is no need for Bisoprolol unless your heart rate is very high ( crossing 100 ) or if you are having too much of anxiety.

Don't worry about it slowing down your heart rate ( unless your present heart rate is in the range of 60+ ) also there is no problem of abruptly stopping beta blocker if it is taken for short period. Well these words was just for information.

Bottom line : No need for Bisoprolol.

Any clarifications feel free to ask .
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Divakara