What does " SED rate 42 and white blood count 12.43" indicate?

Dr. Alokkalyani

Rheumatologist

Posted on Fri, 11 Jul 2014 in Lupus
Question: I just had extensive blood work done as well as a chest x-ray and urine. Both the x-ray and urine came back fine. However, my SED rate was 42, my white blood count was up to 12.43. My neutrophils were 8.78 and my Lymphocytes were slightly down to 19.1. In my Protein electrophoresis serum, the alpha2% was up to 15 and my CRP was up to 4.7. My Rheumatoid factor was up to 15.0, I am a 67 year old woman with coronary artery disease, hypothyroidism, mild type 2 diabetes and stomach problems. I had an angiogram in October and it was okay. I had an endoscope a few months ago showing severe gastritis, but no ulcers. I have been feeling miserable for quite some time, but up until a month ago, was working out at the gym and had started to diet again. I am very overweight at 5'2 and 230 lbs. I know I need to lose weight, but am concerned since my Father died of lymphoma at age 67 and my brother died at age 52 of adrenal core cancer. Could these be possibilities?
Answered by Dr. Alokkalyani 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not concerning...

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

I m dr Alok, pleased to answer your health related queries

In my opinion, none of your reports are suggestive of any specific disease. All the report you mentioned are essentially minor variations of normal report. ESR, WBC, RF, CRP are slightly high, and that can be due to any minor illness or aging. I am not worried about those numbers.

I understand your concern, but your investigation and clinical history is nonspecific.

In this circumstances, I would look for clinical examination finding. Please visit a competent physician who can rule out illness by clinical exam.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad